Tourto is my nickname. Xavier my real name. I was born in Biscarrosse-Plage, a town on the Atlantic coast in Aquitaine Region, France. I speak fluently French, Spanish, English, and basics of German and Malay. I lived and worked bits in France, Mexico, Spain, Switzerland, Australia and Malaysia. I hitchhiked in France, Belgium, Germany, Poland, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Greece, Turkey, Iran, Switzerland, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Australia, Singapore and Malaysia. I travelled in the countries listed above plus Mexico, Spain, Portugal, Scotland, Andorra, Austria, Liechtenstein, Slovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria and India.
Feel free to ask me any questions.
My plans of travels : October to December 2011 : Malaysia December 2011 to March 2012 : India March 2012 to June 2012 : Iran
- Hitchhiked from France to Iran in 2009, through Belgium, Germany, Poland, back to France, then Italy, Balkans, Greece, Turkey.
- Hitchhiked in Australia in 2011 mostly around Western Australia and Northern Territory for several months. I've hitchhiked the Gibb River Road, an outback road running 800km from Broome to Kununarra.
- Other bits in Europe and South-East Asia.
- I Started hitchhiking in may 2009 aged 27, so far more than 30,000 km
- Longest rides :
- 1,377 km from Derby's turn-off on the Great Northern Highway, Australia to Katherine, Australia in july 2011 (all the way with the same truck driver, but we stopped in a bush camp to rest overnight) - 1,000 km from Dijon, France to Prague, Czech Republic in september 2010, even making some tourism with my drivers in Aldace - 670 km from Berlin, Germany to Karlsruhe, Germany in July 2009
- Longuest distance in one day :
- 1,500 km from Wroclaw, Poland to Macon, France with a detour by Berlin, Germany in around 30 hours (I didn't sleep at all) in july 2009 - 1,300 km from Broome, Australia to somewhere between Kununarra and Katherine, Australia in around 15 hours, in july 2011 - 1,000 km from Dijon, France to Prague, Czech Republic in september 2010 (with only a 5 km ride plus a 995 km ride!)
- Fastest trips :
- 3 hours and 15 minutes to go 670 km from Berlin, Germany to Karlsruhe, Germany in July 2009 (average 205 km/h!!) - 3 hours to go 460 km (average 150 km/h) from Lyon, France to Paris, France with 3 Romanians who were listening to 120dB techno music, smoking as crazy, windows shut and overheating the car... Happy it was fast!
- Worst waiting time :
- 2 days waiting for a ride in Gascoyne Junction, Australia, trying to go to Mount Augustus, 300 km of dirt road further. I eventually gave up after no car had passed and figured out I wouldn't have enough food to make the return trip (no shops in Gascoyne Junction)!