6-8-10 (or 6810 or 6/8/10 or 06/08/10) is the proposed title for the third edition of the annual European hitchhiking festival.
At the moment it's up to the hitchhiker's community to designate a meeting place & country for 2010. Proposals can be done on this wiki page.
Please add your comments/ideas to this list of cities. When adding proposals or suggestions, please keep in mind that the prevailing opinion at 789 was to have a sort of club/local community/people at or nearby the spot to help organizing the whole event. The visa-issues thing with Eastern European hitchhikers also can not be solved easily, the only solution at the moment would be to have the event in Moldova/Ukraine every year. So the general idea is to switch between Western and Eastern Europe yearly. If you do not agree with this point of view, please feel free to state your arguments!
- Münster, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
- + beautiful city, huge countryside around
- + proposed by German hitchhiking club Abgefahren e.V. who is willing to help organizing the event
- + good highway connections, easy to reach
- + bicycle capital of Germany: ideal for trying to hitch with a bike
- (I don't understand this one: That there are a lot of bikes in the city doesn't help you to get a lift with your bike (to the city), does it? Or do you want to try getting a lift on somebody else's bike? --Scandinaïve 19:37, 10 January 2010 (UTC))
- Kaunas, Lithuania
- Chişinău, Moldova
- + Cheap country
- - No HH club
- - the same corner as 789 was
- - Some people are banned from country (Transnistria -border-crossing problems)
- Gent, Belgium
- + There is a (small) Belgian hitchhiking community
- + It is very central so more people will come
- + great bike paths: ideal for trying to hitch with a bike
- (I don't understand this one: That there are a good bike paths in the city doesn't help you to get a lift with your bike (to the city), does it? Or do you want to try getting a lift on somebody else's bike? --Scandinaïve 19:37, 10 January 2010 (UTC))
- somewhere in the lakes of Finland
- + There is a finnish hitchhiking community
- + free camping - all we need is a nice corner next to some lake, no permissions needed
- + very nice countryside / nature
- + The European Rainbow gathering will be held here in the summer 11. july - 10. august (maybe in Lapland)
- + Easy to reach from east (rather easy to get visa for Russians)
- + Easy and safe to hitchhike (to/in)
- + Rectum of the world (a bit far away)= more challenging/fun to reach
- + The third Riga Good Times couchsurfing meeting is held nearby in end of July/beginning of August
- + The European Juggling Convention 2010 will be held nearby, in Joensuu.
- - Expensive (level of Norway, Denmark and Ireland)
- - Rectum of the world (a bit far away)
- - All Finland, ESPECIALLY THE LAKES is a mosquito nest in summer. Like you cannot even imagine unless you've seen it.
- - Are we not doing it for the sake of visibility? Well, the idea can evolve of course...
- Lisboa,Porto,Elsewhere, Portugal
- + cheap
- + far west and thus a nice challenge
- + touch the atlantic
- + invade the iberian peninsula