<map lat='47.057493' lng='15.472527' zoom='11' view='0' float='right'/>
- 1 Hitchhiking out
- 1.1 East towards Vienna
- 1.2 South towards Slovenia, Italy, Croatia
- 1.3 North towards Salzburg and Germany
- 2 Trashwiki & Nomadwiki
East towards Vienna
1) Take the tramway #4 or #13 to direction Liebenau and get out at the station Dr Lister Gasse.
2) If you like it more to ask people at the petrol station directly you can go with the Tram number 6 from jakominiplatz to Schulzentrum St. Peter and from there you take the bus 72 to "messendorf heimgarten". wlak along the street 200m more and you find two gas stations. Highway is just a little bit farer along the street
Asfinag Rastplatz rest stop next to airport Flugafhen Graz
Train to Kalsdorf Graz Bahnhof than walk 3.5 km to Mein HOLTER Bad Ausstellung Premstätten. Asfinag Rastplatz rest stop and Agip Unterpremstätten fuel station is on opposite site of E59 highway (there is small distance between them)
Spot 1A: Webling roundabout - small shoulder
Take the 32 bus south east to Trattfelderstraße. Just behind the stop is a bridge/overpass, with a ramp leading up. Carefully walk in the grass up to a traffic circle, where you'll see signs for any direction you want to go. There is a small shoulder right before the exit towards Slovenia, you can stand at the front of this area with your sign and get all the traffic heading towards Slovenia from this area.
Spot 1B: Webling roundabout - emergency lane (illegal place)
1) First, get to the spot 1A as described previously. Then, walk another 100m and exit the traffic circle towards Slovenia. There's a pretty wide emergency lane round the corner.
or follow an alternative path that bypasses multi-lane, busy traffic circle:
2) Take a train to Graz Webling (wegfinder Android app worked great to find a connection), follow railroad south and turn left (east) onto Schwarzer Weg. Follow Schwarzer Weg for another ~500m, taking the left when the road forks, passing a neighbourhood, until you get to multiple overpasses. You need to jump over the left (north) fence between the first and second overpass and climb onto a hill. It may be a bit of a challenge but it's doable (note: the closer to the concrete overpass the more stable the fence is. I'd recommend the right edge where the fence meets the concrete overpass). Once you get to the top, you'll have a big long shoulder to hitch a ride.
This is highway so if police catches you there and put a fine pretend that you dont have money
Follow maps below and Google Maps satellite images of a region to better understand instructions.
Spot 2: Roundabout behind Murpark shopping centre
A small roundabout behind the Murpark shopping centre (and the P+R). Just stand at the corner with the car dealership. There will be a gas station behind you with plenty of room to stop. All the cars going onto the ramp must pass you and can see you clearly since they have to slow down at the roundabout
Take bus #52 heading north from Hauptbahnhof, the main train station. After 10 to 15 minues get off at the Shopping Nord on Wiener Strasse. This road leads into the E57 (= A9). There are many cars and places for drivers to pull over. At the traffic light, it is really hard for people to stop, so it is better to walk down the road until you find somewhere for people to pull in, though it is hard because people drive quickly.
Alternatively there is a Shell garage where Grabenstrasse meets Bergmangasse, road number 67a. It is about a 15 minute walk north from the city park. It is easy to get a ride from there heading north and onto the A9. It's an easy option that doesn't require any public transport.
You should try getting a ride at least until "Raststätte Deutschfeistritz", an OMW gas station. Although the gas station is located on the other side of the highway and most cars will be going in the direction of Graz, it is the first and best option to catch a ride on to Upper Austria and te A1/A8/A9 highway junction "Voralpenkreuz". If you are considering this option, make sure your driver is going by the taxed part of the A9 highway and does not drive around the part where the gas station is on by taking the S35.